About the author(s):
Geneva Call has issued a vacancy announcement for the position of Thematic Legal Advisor. Application deadline is 20th August.
See below for the details of this very interesting opening:-
The Thematic Legal Adviser contributes to the implementation of Geneva Call’s operational strategy by providing thematic and legal expertise on issues related to international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL). She/he also contributes to the development of Geneva Call’s policies and tools related to operations, supports internal capacity-building, research and knowledge management and represents Geneva Call in relevant expert meetings. The Thematic Legal Adviser will work with the Policy and Legal Unit of Geneva Call and report to its Head.
Support field operations:
- Provide expertise and advice to Geneva Call’s staff on legal/thematic issues and community-based protection work;
- Build the capacity of Geneva Call’s staff and partners on legal/thematic issues and community-based protection work;
- Support operational activities (community protection activities, training activities, workshops, meetings, etc.) as required.
Internal development and research:
- Contribute to the development of Geneva Call’s community-based protection work;
- Contribute to policy development and support knowledge management and learning within Geneva Call;
- Further adapt and support the development of Geneva Call’s training and dissemination material;
- Conduct research on thematic/legal issues, as required;
- Prepare project proposals, budgets and donor reports:
- Contribute to fundraising efforts;
- Perform administrative tasks, as required.
External representation and communication:
- Organize expert meetings/events and write articles in relevant journals;
- Follow up on legal/thematic issues and processes and represent Geneva Call, where appropriate, in relevant expert meetings, seminars and conferences;
- Maintain and develop contacts with experts on thematic/legal issues and liaise with relevant stakeholders and partners;
- Develop and implement communication activities, such as campaigns, events and other initiatives on different thematic areas.
- Advanced university degree in a relevant field (international public law, political science, international relations, or related field); a specialization in IHL and IHRL;
- At least 5 years of work experience in protection issues, including relevant field experience in conflict areas; such field experience is a significant asset;
- Good knowledge of community-based protection approaches and design;
- Proven experience in legal analysis, research and training in the humanitarian field;
- Excellent writing and reporting skills;
- Excellent command of English and French (both oral and written);
- Willingness to work independently and with minimum supervision, and as a part of a multicultural team;
- Ability to work under pressure and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Willingness to travel frequently to high-risk locations, including conflict areas;
- Demonstrable computer literacy, including the MS package;
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
Conflict of Interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Thematic Legal Adviser
- CDI contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date: 09.2018
- Swiss citizen or a candidate with a work permit or who may be eligible for a Swiss work permit according to current Swiss legislation
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate/recommendation letter, diploma in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, Ref: “Thematiclegal” no later than 20.08.2018. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note that only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for the next steps of the recruitment process.